Saturday, October 18, 2003

I'm Motion Sensitive

Yup. You read that right. I'm Motion Sensitive. Or, more correctly, I'm apparently more Motion Sensitive than the rest of Chicago. It's a phrase I've coined in order to express a bizarre affliction I seem to have. I can find no reasonable explanation for this, so I've decided to pathologize myself, pigeon-hole myself if you will, with this new term.

Motion Sensitive.

The best way to define this term would be by example. I have two. Three if you really want to be picky.

*Example Number One:
Weeks ago, I began to notice that when I ride on the bus, I sway back and forth more than most people. The bus goes over some bad pavement and I'm bouncin' all over the place. The bus stops, I lean forward. The bus turns, I'm rocking with it. Especially, especially, in the the very back of the bus. I move as the bus moves. I"m loose. I'm flowing. I'm bumping and swaying and bouncing and all that.
But I'm the only one.

No, really. I'm the only one.

I look around, and everyone else is just sitting there upright like the bus is at a standstill. Oh sure, maybe, MAYBE they lean forward just a tiny bit when the bus comes to a sudden stop, but that's it! It's bizarre.

So I started paying attention to my own movement, and found that I really have to sit rigid in order to keep myself from moving around like that. It has to be a conscious effort. And I know that every person on every bus is not sitting there thinking only about not moving in their seats. There are just too many other things going on in people's life for that to be their only concern. I mean, even having noticed this fascinating phenomenon, it still took me weeks to remember to pay attention enough in order to start developing this theory. And I had a purpose!

*Example Number Two (or, the extention of Example Number One, if you are so inclined)
The train. Same thing. I don't ride the train as much as the bus, but I usually ride it at least one day a week, and it's the same thing. The train's rocking. I'm rocking. Everyone else is still. The train stops, I lean forward, and here, I'll admit, other people lean forward too. The train stops cause much more motion among other passengers than bus stops. But otherwise, everyone is just sitting or standing there.

*Example Number Three (aka, Example Number Two)
I was walking around the Loop (downtown Chicago) the other day when my theory was finalized. I didn't have my short hair pulled up or pinned down like I normally do, and it was blowing in the wind. A lot. Everywhere. The wind rushes around the skyscrapers, and it's like mini-tornadoes-- the wind was blowing in all different directions, and so was my hair.
No one else's hair was moving.

I rest my case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home