Monday, January 05, 2004

It snowed yesterday

The whole day. I wake up and the snow is falling. The streets are wet. The snow is not sticking. I eat breakfast and look outside again. The streets are white. People are outside shovelling their walks, but by the time they are through, another blanket of white lays behind them. Sometimes the wind blows fiercely and whips up the snow laying on rooftops and on the streets. It looks like a white sandstorm.

The snow keeps falling.

This morning I wake up and the snow is still falling, albeit only in flurries. I walk to the bus, crunching through the inches and inches of white, thankful that I have snowboots. In places, the city dirt has left a grimy residue, so that they sidewalks are covered with a sickening grey slush. I don't have to wait very long for the bus.

I look out the window and I see huge jagged icicles hanging from the overpass. A train rides smoothly over them, and I wonder if people ever get hurt when the icicles fall. I notice that the trees on Western have a fat stripe of snow covering the northeast side of their trunks, all the way up.

My stop is 47th St. As usual, I opt to skip the 47 bus, and just walk that last mile. The trees on 47th St. have the white stipes on the northwest side. I wonder what that means.

My feet are separated from the sidewalk by two inches of compact snow. I wonder where I'll be able to go running in snow like this. The snowflakes flutter against my eyelashes with a tickling sensation. I walk under a bridge and see broken glass everywhere. But then I realize it is broken icicles.

There is a semi parked on the sidewalk so I walk through the gas station parking lot. The snow melts in strange colors here and greets me with a very strong smell of gasoline. I wonder briefly if the snow here is flammable. Wouldn't that beat all? I decide not to check. I don't have a lighter anyway.

***

I'm back at work now. Not that I had taken a vacation, but I'm back to doing my normal jobs now. We had sports tournaments and movies during the weeks that school was out. Jessica and I finished the Hope Program presentations for my art class. Jessica's another peer educator in training. Yesica took a few weeks off, so we finished without her supervision. I guess we're trained now. So more work is to come.

I apparently don't have any students for the CCP lab yet. At least, no one has told me if I do, and no one is here now. I'll probably see Bridget or Alberto today, and get the low-down on CCP plans for the year.

I hope it starts back up soon. I get bored way too easily.

Today I begin the final push to get my art class to complete their comic book. I want to start sculpting already. And I know they do too. That is going to be fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home