Monday, November 17, 2003

I"m a little sick currently. Not feeling all that great. Which sucks, but that's life.

Good things are happening, though. We had a service group come to Holy Cross from a high school in Minnesota, and I was kind of their guide while they were here. The girls of the group also stayed at our house, so we spent a lot of time together. They were a really outgoing bunch, and were so open and relaxed about everything, that it helped me to open and relax in a way that I hadn't realized I wasn't.

What happened next was pretty cool. Monday last week, feeling all open and relaxed, I went to teach my art class. And right away, the class responded. They opened up- started telling me about their lives, what they were doing in school, things they were proud of... and it continued. Every day that I have worked since then, a new person has come and talked to me. Not like a stranger, but someone who I already knew or taught or worked with in some way. And we were already friendly, but now they seem to feel comfortable enough around me to really let me into their lives. It's really neat.

That thing I was going to do with Dugan school has been put off. The computers in the lab do not have the specs necessary for the program. So, a few more weeks, perhaps more. I'm learning that nothing here starts quickly. Nothing starts on time. For now, I'm going to see if there is anyone who specifically works to help the young adults of the neighborhood apply for college scholarships. If not, maybe I can do that. There is a definite interest in college here, but not many people seem to be going. Maybe they just need someone to help them get started. Who knows?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home