Thursday, November 06, 2003

New Job

Just this past Saturday I finally opened my mouth to express a concern I had about my "saving the world" position. I didn't feel like I was helping the teens of Back of the Yards enough, or maybe not in the right way. Hardly anyone ever comes to the turoring in the afternoon, so most days I sit there and read or write or hang out with the kids who come in to check their email. And I know it's good to have someone around, for stability's sake and what-not, but I was getting bored.

So I said this. Outloud. To people who have no control over such things in my work- my housemates. But having said it outloud, things began to change. Yesterday, Sr. Angie came and told me that Dugan- one of Holy Cross' alternative high schools- is starting a program for teens who can't really get into alternative high schools. They'll be able to work on course credit on a computer until they can qualify to join Dugan.

So, starting in about two weeks, I'm going to be working with two teens daily from 12:00-4:00. Sr. Angie said my main job isn't so much to make sure they finish their work accurately, but to sit with them, ask them how they're doing, what's going on, how they're feeling. Be supportive. And also help them with their work. So, of course, I am really excited about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home