Thursday, April 22, 2004

Back in Chicago, Part I

Okay, Spring is here, and hormones are flying about like pollen, affecting everything.

Normally, as I walk down 47th to the Western bus stop, I get a few honks. People in Chicago just honk. It's what they do. It's part of life. Two short beeps. That's the standard.

So, yesterday, when I was walking home, I was not surprised to get a wolf whistle straight off. But I was a bit surprised when I got several long beeps. Usually, that happens when it's someone I know. So I turned.

No, it was just some a-hole yelling "Hey Baby" and the like.

A minute later, more long beeps. I look again- and it was just some other a-hole yelling "Hey Baby" and the like.

Immediately after, more long beeps, but I'm not falling for it this time. I just keep my eyes on the sidewalk ahead.

I got home and ate dinner and wrote a bit and was getting ready to watch City of Lost Children (which is a really bizarre movie, by the way) with Daena when Fabian came in and said,

"I went down south after school today to go to the teacher store-"

"the What?" I ask.

He waves me off. "They place to get teacher supplies. Anyway, I was driving down 47th and I saw you walking so I honked, but you just kept on walking. I was going to give you a ride, but you ignored me, so I just drove on."

This morning, when I got on the bus, this guy in the back who looked vaguely familiar waved at me, and then did that finger motion that means 'come here'. He looked vaguely familiar and was acting in a familiar way, so I thought maybe I knew him and I went to sit in the back of the bus nearby.

He said, "Hey, how ya doing?" in that way that is clearly a come-on.

I rolled my eyes and laughed, having fallen for it once again. Go ahead, honk at me. I'll look.

I said, "Oh, I thought I knew you from the church." He gave me a puzzled look and I explained further, "I'm married."

He laughed too and said, "Oh, sorry," or something like that, that clearly indicated the coming-on was over. I turned to look forward. Then he says, "Are you happy, though?"

I laughed and said, "yes, I am."

He said, "Good. That's what's important." Then after a few minutes he says, "You should be flattered, though."

And you know, he was a good-looking guy, and I was, so I said, "I am," and laughed again.

Then he said, "Where were you before I was married?"

And I thought, 'HE's married?' So I asked him, and he said, "No, I was just saying, where were you before i was married." Which is a funny explanation when you think about it, but changing the inflection really did make it make more sense.

When I got up to leave, he said, "Take care. Love you."

I said, "Bye."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home