Monday, November 08, 2004

Still in the country...

So I've been approached about starting a book club that will last through December. The point of the book club seems to be less about reading and more about using the book to tie in a series of outings, which I get to come up with. This should be interesting, because here is the cast: one gangbanger who has already missed a meeting with me, two gangbangers who were referred by their parole officers, one guy who is on the list "just in case he drops out of school in the next week or so", and one girl with a learning disability of inspecific type. One outing that was suggested to me was the Mexican Museum of Fine Arts in Pilsen (the neighborhood I live in), because the Museum is right off the busstop so we don't have to walk very far in a competing gang area. I write this down and I can't help but think that I should be thinking 'what the hell am I getting myself into?' but instead, I"m actually really excited about it. Groups like this are always the most challenging and therefore the most fun.

In other news, in theatre we did casting for the Guadalupe play on Friday, and we start rehearsing tonight. On Wednesday, I'm going to let my art class experiment on me with papier mache to see if we can make masks for the Pastorela. Oh-- a Pastorela is a play performed during the Christmas season, generally about devils trying to keep the wisemen and kings from getting to see the baby Jesus. They're funny and insightful and full of good-versus-evil altercations. We're casting that this coming Friday. The Wednesday night experiment should be really messy, but will hopefully prove fruitful. Cross your fingers for me.

In other news, the election kind of shook me up. Especially since there have been reports for weeks (and continue to be reports) of massive amounts of voter fraud and no one seems to care. WAKE UP, AMERICA!!! What's your problem?!!!

At any rate, I have given myself until the end of the month to come up with a viable plan to save the world, which I will begin to enact in the new year. Suggestions are welcome, but realistic cynicism of the "you can't do that" variety are not. It may take awhile, but it will happen. I've just realized I can't do it flying by the seat of my pants anymore. I've got to figure it out beforehand, and dedicate myself to getting it done.

But first, I'm getting a voodoo doll that looks like W. He may be President for the next four years, but that doesn't mean he gets to enjoy it... Just kidding. I'll just insult him on my blog, which insiders assure me he reads every day. So now I'll get him with psychological warfare-- make him feel bad about himself whenever I feel bad about him. Because I've decided I can be petty here if I want. Because it's my blog. And because I doubt my blog will wind up being a part of my plan to save the world. And if it does become part of that plan, I can always go back and edit the entries so that I never declared my right to be petty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home