Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A Nice Compliment

Also, at the rally on Monday...

I was listening to a speaker at Grant Park. My husband and roommates and several friends were all there-- but we'd gone in separately, so for all intents and purposes I was alone. This guy next to me asks me in Spanish who is speaking. I said, also in Spanish, I didn't know because I couldn't see. He asked if it was Gutierrez? I said Maybe. We made small talk about the rally. Then he asked me where I was from.

I said Here.

He gave me a weird look like I was pulling his leg. Then his face brightened and he said, "Oh, you mean you came here when you were a kid!"

I said, "No, I was born here. I'm a citizen."

He said, "Your family is from Mexico?"

I said no, I'm not Mexican.

He said, "But you don't have an accent!"

And that was the nice compliment that I received. Of course, we talked in Spanish for a while longer, so he became very familiar with my poor grammar... but still.

:)

1 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Blogger elfradiowave said...

Hi, Kati!

Wow, i guess everyone has a blog these days.

How have you two been?

-- Marc L'Hommedieu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home