Friday, April 30, 2004

Change in the Weather

Remind me not to open my mouth too soon.

I am guilty of continually being overly optimistic.

Two bad days. And now N wants out of the program. We're meeting with his mom on Wednesday next week.

I'm disappointed, but then again, if his behavior was to continue the way it had been, I would have kicked him out. So today we talked about job skills, and we talked about getting through high school, and I told him that I offer tutoring here in the afternoons, and I think we left on good terms, but a big part of me just wants to cry.

Because I don't know how to fix everything for these kids. I don't know what to do for them to make it all better. And I guess I don't have to make it all better- I only have to be there for them when things are bad.

But today, I want to find a training opportunity on the net for adult literacy. Then, maybe I during the meeting on Wednesday, I can say, Hey, we'll be offering adult literacy here pretty soon, would you like us to contact you when that is up and running? N's mother had previously told me she was interested in finally learning how to read. And N can read, but not very well, and it would surely help him in school if he were to raise his ability level.

Time goes on.

Funny story- yesterday, Yesica and I did outreach by taking a walk through the neighborhood and passing out condoms and information on STDs and HIV/AIDS. We came upon a group of young men, including N, and one of my guys from RCIA, and we passed out the goody bags, and they were laughing, saying, "How did yous guys know this is exactly what we were wanting?"

As we headed on, some more of their friends came out- these guys were older, 20 or so. They ran after us asking for some bags too. We gave them some bags, got their ages, and were walking away when one of them asked, "Hey, you got a boyfriend?" Yesica turned around and said, "We don't offer that."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home