Friday, September 30, 2005

Score.

So yeah. When I first started at St. Paul, one of the things I talked with Fr. Marino about was our mutual desire to have a Spanish youth group. The youth group as it is, is all in English. I told him that, especially in this neighborhood, a Spanish speaking youth group is key. There are a lot of teens here that speak English, but many more that do not, or do not speak that well.

The main problem with starting the Spanish youth group is that my Spanish is just not good enough to lead a group. I can make my way through most conversations, more or less. I was even, of necessity, a translator for a lot of people when we were in Guatemala. I *can* speak Spanish when push comes to shove, but really, just not well enough to engage a group of teenagers. So I needed someone else. Someone with far better language skills than me.

And I got him.

He's in the pre-stage of Claretian Novitiate-hood, and his name is Stalin Castro. He tries to pass off that his middle name is Che, but it's not really. In case you were wondering, yes. Yes, he is a Communist. He told me today that his whole family is. I told him my husband was as well. He said, "Oh? Where is your husband from?" And then he gave me a weird look when I told him from here.

This rocks. He's already started coming to youth events, and the teens love him. He worked with them in the summer volunteer program. It's so awesome. I love how this is coming together. Everything works out. This job rocks!

1 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger E in Atlanta said...

Hee Hee! We are trying to name the lump, and I suggested Stalin Castro after reading this. I told the husband that naming someone Stalin Castro would probably lead them to a reflective, spiritual life. The husband says he couldn't see that name leading to anything other than a fondness for beards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home