Friday, May 26, 2006

The Numbers

1. This morning I went to buy new running shoes. I told the guy who was helping me, "You're gonna love me," then explained about how I'm a volunteer and cost really was a issue. He measured my feet, watched me run to see where my feet needed the most support, and disappeared for ten minutes during which time he found me some shoes that fit all of my physical and financial needs. We chatted then about the work I do. As he was walking me up to the register he stopped and asked me if I was allowed to accept gifts as part of the program-- if people ever gave me money to help costs. I told him, yeah, sometimes. But I usually don't need it. It's just that the marathon has turned out to be an expensive endeavor. He said, "So, if my wife and I wanted to send you some money, would you be able to take it?" I laughed and said, "Yeah, but honestly, since I'm raising money for the AIDS Marathon, I'd probably just put the money toward that." He said, "For the AIDS Foundation?" I said, "Yeah." He said, "That sounds good. Can you write down your address for me?" Then he said, "Expect a check in the mail from us soon."

He reminded me of Mike. I can't remember his last nam right now, but it was Mike who worked at the Red Rose, and who was such a nice guy that Michael was always afraid he would try to give him a kidney. Also, when I got married to Michael Stipe, and he refused to be in the pictures and I needed a body double for the shots, Mike offered to do it. Super nice guy.

2. Two of my girls in Youth Group are fighting right now. One of them started dating this guy who is in a gang that killed the other girl's dad. The second girl said, You have to choose him or me. The first girl said, It's hard. The second girl said, Why is this hard? We've been best friends for five years. If they see each other when there are not a lot of people around, punches will be thrown.

3. Last Saturday, the community went out on a boat on Lake Michigan. We spend the entire afternoon sipping wine and beer and eating fruits and cheeses. It was a beautiful day, and Chicago was beautiful next to the lake. It was such a great day.

4. The other night as I was falling asleep, I heard Michael come in and start unloading his pockets onto his dresser. I said, "It sounds like you're doing the opposite of stealing." Then I decided to come up with a new word.

_______: verb, 1. The opposite of stealing 2. To stealthily and forcefully give something without the receiver's permission, and especially by criminal means.

I thought up the perfect word, but then fell asleep and lost it forever. Will keep you updated. In the meantime, add this to your vocabulary.

Put-pocketting: verb, the opposite of pick-pocketting

5. I'm so confused about what I'm going to do next year. Stay with the Claretians, yes. But doing what? Oh God, help.

2 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you said:
5. I'm so confused about what I'm going to do next year. Stay with the Claretians, yes. But doing what? Oh God, help.

A sister?

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger SimpleKiwi said...

Put-Pocketting? That's a new one.

*Hopes to be kindly put-pocketted fifty bucks by some random rich person*

Ooooh yeah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home