Thursday, December 21, 2006

Love my job in the holiday season

It's funny how things change. Last year at this time, I hated my job and loved my community. My community really was the only thing that kept me in the program last year. At the Christmas party for my youth group, I nearly quit. It is the only time since I've been with the Claretian Volunteers that I really was ready to walk away. But I didn't. I was miserable with my job, but I stuck with it, and was rewarded this year with my job here at the pantry.

I love my job at the pantry. It really is, I think, the best job ever. God, all jobs should be like this. I really miss working with my teens sometimes. I don't develop as close relationships with people here as I did working with a small group of teens. But I develop relationships with a whole lot (hundreds) of people in the neighborhood. It is really nice.

And you know what? I realized today that I've found a part of Christmas that I not only like, but that I love. I love giving things to people. Like, things that they need. I got to drive around to day for a couple hours, doing home visits to let people who don't have phones know that we have turkeys and presents for them, and going to various stores to buy space heaters to give to families that don't have heat in there home. I mean, how awesome is it that I get to do that? I love this job.

1 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Blogger noldsel said...

Hi, I admire you for your work. Can I add a link to your blog from mine? Tnx.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home