Friday, March 30, 2007

Lost in Translation

I know these forms exist in Spanish. I've seen them. But still, for some reason or other, people come in with English forms that were sent them by the DHS office, or by their legal counsel, or... who knows? They're applying for foodstamps, or medical cards. One lady came in the other day with paperwork regarding a child support case. And they need them translated because they don't speak the language. They can't read it.

The child support case threw me for a loop. I do not have most of the vocabulary needed for these things, but can generally get by okay. But I've never done a child support case before. And we were right in the middle of Pantry Day, the absolute busiest day of the week. And Maria's in Mexico, so I was doing her job in addition to mine. Had dozens of people lined up waiting for me.

I skimmed the documents, and briefly listed what information she would need. I asked if she could come back later in the week so we could sit down and do it. She expressed her concern about getting everything done on time. So I showed her the due date-- a month from now. And her anxiety melted away. She couldn't even tell when everything was due. The date itself meant nothing, because she had no context for it. The sentence could have said, "Your court date is April 22. Have all of your information submitted one month before." Or it could say, "Hey, we're also having a barbecue on April 22, if you want to come." How would she ever know?

It's funny to me how thankful people are for even simple translations like that. I didn't really help her. I didn't translate the document, fill it out, send it in. I just told her when it was due, and she laughed and said thank you and patted me on the cheek like I was just the dearest thing in her life. Because I told her to come back later. Well, no. I guess because I told her she had time to come back later.

There is so much fear surrounding these 'official' things. Applying for public aid, for foodstamps, medical cards and the like... people are so afraid of it. And they're afraid of their caseworkers and the officials that process their paperwork. It's like going to the Great and Terrible Oz... this all-powerful giant head that will yell at you and demand so very much in return. And they quail before them. And it is scary. Because to me and you, those caseworkers are people. But when they're YOUR caseworker, they hold your life in their hands. And sometimes the forms don't even come in the right language.

Jeez, it's so scary. Be nice to poor people. They have so much other shit to deal with. Cut 'em a break, already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home