Thursday, January 19, 2006

It's because I'm so fabulously talented

So... what's new in my life?

Well, after months of avoiding it, I finally got tapped for singing at the weekend masses here at St. Paul. I'd befriended the organist awhile back, and maybe in hindsight that wasn't the best idea if I were going to try to avoid this one extra position. But you know, one thing led to another, and suddenly I was singing along at the 5:00 Saturday mass last week. And it was fun, just as I'd feared. And similarly, just like I knew would happen, I accepted the invitation to come back to the Sunday 10:00 and sing then too. And I had fun with that as well.

But then-- and this is where it gets truly weird-- this guy comes up to me after mass and tells me he's going to make my weekend. He says that he's going to bring his record producer buddy to Mass to hear me sing, because when he heard me belting out "How Can I Keep From Singing?" (my solo--and plus I played the guitar accompaniment), he was just blown away!

He asked me what kind of music I played, and he dropped a bunch of names of people that I recognized as famous but not much more specifically, and he spoke in an entertainment industry sort of voice. And I kind of stared at him for awhile, and then said, "Are you serious?" Not in the "Oh-my-god-my-head-is-going-to-explode-from-excitement" sort of way, but more along the lines of, "Quit pulling my leg, Strange Person I Don't Know." I think he was rather expecting the former, and that I disappointed him with my lack of enthusiasm.

But, the fun part of all of this is that I get to tell people that I got scouted at Church. And they say, "What?" And I say, "Oh, a big time record producer is going to come and offer me a deal and I'll be a world famous millionaire superstar." Then I flip my hair and continue, "It's because I'm so fabulously talented." And they say, "What?"

Michael and I have it all planned out now. I'll go be a world famous millionaire superstar, and then he'll be able to continue to work at 8th Day for free. I'm going to have to be very firm with my producers, though, that I have time to do important things like youth group, and recording books for the blind and dyslexic, because it seems as though life would be so tedious if it was all 'world famous millionaire superstar' and no 'save the world volunteer'.

In other news, I'm reading now with Recording For the Blind and Dyslexic. I'll have a few more sessions reading, and then they'll give me a reading audition, where I'll record several different types of pieces, and after that I'll be a full-fledged volunteer reader. It's neat.

Also, I've joined 8th Day's committee called Women in Church and Society. We're putting together a day workshop about feminist issues in, well, church and society, and what we as individuals and in groups can do about them. I'm excited about it. And I really like this group. 8th Day works on the consensus model, and every person has equal say. So I, having only been to two meetings thusfar, am given equal voice in decision making. I feel so valid. I'm working this weekend on putting together a flyer, and also I'm going to see about any edits I might be able to contribute to the Creemos (we believe) statement. They've had a lot of problems with editing, so I'm hoping I can contribute something useful to it. I have experience in editing, and honestly, really enjoy it. Maybe I should become an editor. Maybe. We'll see.

1 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So..Have you gone again to sing? Anything made of it?
Hope your weeks been good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home