Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Sallymas

It's my mom's birthday today, and Michael has dubbed it Sallymas. Of course, she doesn't know that yet, because she's still at work, but she'll find out soon enough. The very exciting part of Sallymas is all the presents. I know what two of them are-- the one from me and Michael, and the one from Dad. Mom doesn't know what either of these are yet-- but she'll be happy once she does.

I think I have fallen into the slippery slope of consumerism this holiday season. I decided, for several reasons, that I wanted to get my family good presents this year, because I always feel like my presents to them suck. So I made some stuff and I bought some stuff, and overall, I think I did a good job with getting together some good presents. But then I was like, well, gotta get stuff for my friends too. And what about this guy? Oh, and I forgot her... and on and on it went and now I'm feeling guilty for not having gotten people gifts when I never get them gifts anyway.

The holiday season has officially sucked me in. I even watched a Christmas movie the other night with my dad and Michael. All the way through. And I've stopped cringing quite so much when Christmas music comes on--although, mostly, I just drown it out. Insanity.

Sallymas is a much better holiday than Christmas. It's a newer holiday, so it hasn't yet been bought out by the advertising companies. And plus, the main iconic figure of the holiday, Sally, was not created in looks or image by the Coca-cola company. I'd say that I think everyone should celebrate Sallymas, but then it would just turn into a consumer holiday nightmare. So instead, I'm going to write a short treatise on why people outside of... whoever I think should... should NOT celebrate Sallymas.

Here goes.

In the year of our lord, two thousand and five, my foremother celebrated the XXcensoredXX anniversary of her birth. This grand celebration was indeed dubbed "Sallymas". This is a truly great holiday, filled with presents for my foremother, and eating, probably at a place known as Out, but even still, despite the wicked-awesomeness of the holiday, I really must insist that no one advertise it or allow Coca-cola to have anything to do with it.

Here, Here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home