Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Transition begins

So, stuff happens.

Last week my uncle was installed as bishop of Joliet, which is nice, because he's moved nearer to me. I don't expect to see him often, but I do expect we'll probably swap dinners at each other's houses during the next year, and that'll be cool. I like having family over. My mother and sisters came up for the installation, as well as aunts and uncles and second cousins I'd never met. I was really happy to see the family I had met before. I miss them. It's nice when they come around.

The previous day I'd had my interview at Casa Catalina Food Pantry, where I'll be working this coming year. I actually started working there on Monday. I learned such valuable skills as taking out the trash, and where the homeless people food is kept, and what to do when people need emergency groceries, and a bit about how to navigate Real Benefits and Allkids paperwork, and where to put the Food Rescue donations that come in on Mondays. I feel this is gonna be a really neat job.

Tonight is my last regular youth group meeting. Next week is the closing retreat. The following Wednesday, I'm taking the youth on a day trip to the Indiana Dunes. And then that's it for me as youth minister at St. Paul. As much as I've, well, almost *dreaded* making this change-- leaving without knowing what exactly will happen next with the youth group-- I feel a great weight lifted knowing that I'm almost done. I think it is a definite sign that a job is not for you when you feel almost giddy at the prospect of leaving it. No, not almost. I'm giddy, damnit. It's nice.

For those of you who have been waiting for an update, the stone sculpting is going well. The stone is becoming elephant-shaped. And, I *love* stone sculpting. It is so much fun. It leaves my hands hurting, and sometimes my elbows, but holy cow is it fun! I feel so much satisfaction while I'm at it. I feel productive, and in control, and relaxed, and content. And dusty. Alabaster dust gets everywhere. Clean-up is my least favorite part. But I so enjoy all that comes before, that it even makes the clean-up worth it.

The update on Mensa is that I'm officially enrolled in both the national and local chapters now. There are a few Chicago events this month that I'll be checking out. I hope the people aren't stuffy.

Fundraising continues. I'm hitting festivals now, asking for spare change. It can be hit or miss. Some days the money comes, others, not so. I'm about two-thirds of the way to my goal. Wish me luck.

1 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home